under Pasta / Sunday Dinners
- Preheat oven to 375º
- In a LARGE saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high
- Sauté onion, carrot and green pepper until onion is translucent, usually about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and sauté for additional 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with wine, scrape up any brown bits on the bottom. Add water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add puree and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add italian seasoning, bay leaves and crushed red pepper. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low. If you have fresh herbs, use them and use less dry spices.
- Cut italian sausages into 1 inch long links, bake for 30 minutes.
- Once sausages are done, add to sauce and let simmer. Count how many links you add, they need to be removed before freezing leftovers.
- Simmer the sauce, at least 30 minutes and up to an hour. Stir frequency to avoid burning on the bottom of saucepan.
- Serve with your favorite pasta, make lasagna, chicken parmesan, homemade pizza, etc.
- If sauce seems too thick, add more water. If too thin, add tomato paste.
**See full post with pictures: Iconic Italian
This makes a big batch of sauce. The leftovers freeze really well. Put in an airtight container or ziplock baggies, then just thaw sauce for a quick dinner.